Reduce the garbage you generate by following these tips:
- Buy recycled products.
- Buy products with limited packaging, packaging made from recycled materials, and/or packaging that can recycled again.
- Use durable items like washable/reusable utensils, cups and dishes.
- Avoid single-use disposable items.
- Invest is reusable shopping bags, lunch bags, water bottles, and takeout containers.
- Make the most of Santa Clara’s convenient recycling programs.
- Contact www.recyclestuff.org for help recycling odd items.
- Reduce paper waste by stopping junk mail (visit www.catalogchoice.org and www.stopjunkmail.org for assistance).
- Sell unwanted items—host a garage sale, post them on www.Craigslist.org, eBay, or on another website.
- List unwanted items on www.freecycle.org.
- Donate unwanted items to a charitable organization.
- Make your own compost. Vist the Santa Clara County Integrated Waste Management website, www.recyclestuff.org, and/or www.thewormdude.com to get started.